Monday, May 22, 2017

Everquest memories-What brought me back.

I have been back for several years now. I played pretty hard from 99-04 until I started college and worked 2 jobs so EQ had to go on the back burner. I actually kept paying my account until I was issued a new bank card and the numbers did not match for renewal. I returned to EQ when I got out of school in 2009 but only very casual as I was working 60-80 hours a week to get caught up in RL. I started playing again on a regular basis around 2011 once RL settled down a bit.

So what brought me back to the game when there are so many other options? EQ has that feeling unlike any other game I have ever experienced. It reminds me of when I was a child playing super Mario bros on an arcade machine at the corner gas station before NES was released. I would save all my quarters and spend hours playing a game I needed a stool to even reach the controls to play. Once NES was released there was this amazing game called The Legend of Zelda that was released and that started my real addiction for video games especially fantasy style games. Everquest took the elements of every game I had ever enjoyed with added things I had never encountered in a video game and created something that was not just a game but an actual experience. You did not just play EQ you lived it. You assumed the identity of your character and escaped from the real world. Having a stressful job in RL EQ has been my escape and mostly a therapeutic experience for me which has kept me loyal to the game and keeps me coming back day after day.




Aurastrider (From the Everquest forums May 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment