Friday, April 28, 2023

Many years ago I used to use a retired friend's account to run a bazaar trader. One day I saw the trader standing in the Plane of Knowledge, no longer level 1, but now level 20. I knew what was going on: level 20 is the minimum level to server transfer, and my trader had >15 million plat + dozens of items worth a few million more.


It's a scammer who somehow got my friend's account and is trying to steal my stuff.


I kicked the account offline and after I log in I see a pending character transfer window. Immediately kick requests started popping up, (I keep auto-kick turned off, but apparently they hadn't), but I denied them and transferred all of my plat and items off the trader. A few minutes later, the account is kicked offline by a GM (I found out later the scammer sent in a petition to get me kicked off).


I see the trader log back in, and I send them a tell demanding to know who they are and wtf they think they're doing. (I knew it wasn't my friend and I had already texted them to get them to change their password).


So, the scammer messages me back, pissed, demanding I either give them back my platinum/items, or send them $25 for the transfer token they'd bought and if I don't they threaten to delete all the characters on the account.


I told them to go ahead, I'm not worried, (because by this point my friend had changed the account password so if the scammer logged the trader off to try to delete other characters, we could kick them off and they wouldn't be able to log back in again).


At that point they started spamming the general channel with "wts krono paypal" etc. to try and get the account banned for RMT.


Eventually, they were kicked off by a GM after my friend sent in a petition explaining what was happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment