Friday, April 28, 2023

A long, long time ago I was a guide on Povar. Since we had to support the players in all zones, we received a copy of Scars of Velious and several of us went exploring the new zones with our guide powers. We saw all the dragons and new things, and it was breathtaking!!


Shortly thereafter the guides were asked (told) to stay in the Plane of Sky GM island building when we weren't helping players.


The awe of seeing these all of these new, giant dragons was really special.


My first character was a Wood Elf Druid, which meant she started in the Greater Faydark back in April of 1999. EverQuest was probably the first proper 3d game of its kind that I played (previously I had played the Ultima Online, which was 3d, but not the same). Being in first person view, with the music, and immersion was amazing! The world in front of me unfolded beautifully, and then I came across those HUGE, mysterious spires in the Faydark. It was really awesome. We take it for granted now, and have made peace with the low res textures, but back in 1999, this was a groundbreaking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment