Saturday, June 24, 2017

Back to EQ

I know threads like this have been done before, but I was looking into coming back to EQ for the first time in like 13 years due to the Agnarr server, and it got me thinking about old EverQuest memories. Anyone want to share theirs? here are some of mine:
Not having any maps and there weren't any online resources for quite a bit (at least that i was aware of) so it made the world feel absolutely massive and real. I remember finding out about leveling locations and directions on how to get there via word of mouth from other players rather than being able to just google everything. I've just never felt such a sense of immersion from a game since then; sometimes I think it was because I was in my mid-teens when I first started playing, so I was younger, but older players say they experienced the same thing...so EQ really must have been that great.
Similar to the first one, running all the way from Qeynos to Crushbone because I heard it was a great place to level. Again, without maps and at such a low level, it was difficult and dangerous. Once I made it there I felt like I had accomplished some legendary feat.
Guiding on the A Ro server for awhile, helping people out (even sometimes when you weren't supposed to). part of what I loved about EQ was just exploring the world, probably why it took me so long to level. So as a Guide whenever the petition queue was slow I'd just roam all over Norrath just taking in the sheer size and scale of the world.
Hanging out in the EC tunnel (before Luclin ruined it) and just talking to people. I could spend hours just sitting in there socializing and not even trying to level.
Joining a raid against the FP guards on my human warrior because I felt like it was something a follower of Marr should do. As a result, being KoS in most of FP and having to have someone show me the secret route through the sewers. Felt like I was James Bond sneaking in there.
Begging for ports and/or SoW because back in the day it actually took a long time to travel somewhere even if you didn't die along the way. But it made the journey feel so much more valuable and impressive.
How every fight felt critical because if you died you were going to have to go on a naked CR and lose precious exp. And how there was no just running a certain distance until a mob stopped chasing you like there is in modern day MMOs. Back then you better hope you're not far from the zone or you were screwed.
Similarly, "TRAIN TO ZONE" shouts. Spectres and SGs being pulled to the docks in Oasis of Marr and everyone scattering. Grinding and having fun with groups on the Orc highway there too.
Being terrified at lower levels while trying to traverse Kithicor at night.
The chessboard in BB where I had a lot of fun times camping out.
And just generally all the infuriating things such as kill stealing, camp stealing, training, hell levels and slow grinding of exp, forgetting to bind near your new location and dying and respawning half a world away (lol) that all seemed so rage inducing at the time but now ironically just give me a sense of nostalgia.


PurpleDrank88 (From Reddit 6/2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment