Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Spellsheen Prism

One day back in 2005 while grouping in Muramite Proving Grounds our group had a zonewide random drop. Although there are multiple zonewides that can drop this one in particular fit my class well. It was the legendary Spellsheen Prism!

The hit points and mana were amazing compared to the item I was wearing and to top it all off what made this an extraordinary item was the +4 hp regen. To a Necro the +4 HP regen put it over the top.


Muramite Proving Grounds
 





This is were the story gets weird, zone wide randoms happen everyday and although rare, they are fairly (sort of) common in EQ. The group I was in had one other caster rolling against me and the scary thing is he expressed excitement at the prospect of looting this gem himself. This filled me with a sense of dread. Because even though I was only rolling against one person, I still had a 50% chance of not winning it. So, he rolled first and surprisingly, came out with a low number. I rolled myself and to my satisfaction won the roll!

In real life (as all of this was going on) there was a severe thunderstorm happening. As soon as I won the roll a flash of lightning crashed outside my window and the power as well as my computer went out. I could not believe it! After what seemed like forever the power finally came back on. My inner feelings of anger were echoed by the loud clashes of thunder outside. My cable internet finally flashed to life and I was able to go back online.



MPG mobs






By this time, multiple minutes had passed and I thought for sure the group would have let the other person loot my prism. I reconnected to the game and quickly looked around me. The group had all but disbanded but thankfully the mob that held my prism was still on the ground. I quickly targeted him and saw that there was 2-3 minutes left until rot.

The person who I rolled against was standing next to the mob. I quickly looted the item and he sent me a tell saying that he thought he would be a "nice guy" and wait for the last possible moment to loot it. He confessed really wanting the item for himself but holding back.

This was the closest I had ever come to both winning and losing an item.

Years later, and I'm talking 7-8 years later, I'm standing in the guild lobby when out of the blue a stranger sends me a tell. He asked me "Do you remember me?" I replied "No unfortunately I don't." He replies "I was the one who rolled against you for the prism in MPG 10 years ago." we both had a good laugh and he said he had never been so tempted to loot an item and log out. But he didn't.

An amazing EQ experience.


Fcseven (updated June 8 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment