Sunday, November 5, 2017

That day in Lavastorm....

When first starting the game back in the early 2000s I spent a lot of time just wandering around various zones. The world was new, the idea of  MMOs was complex, and I was unsure if continuing was a good idea.

The game seemed too difficult! On top of that if the first couple months had taught me anything it was that I was not very good at this. Struggling is an understatement. I needed something, anything, to convince me continuing on would be a good idea.

 As fate would have it an incident in Lavastorm would change the direction of my EQ future.

Lavastorm Mountains
 


So I was wandering around Lavastorm exploring when all of a sudden my invis disappeared! Invis at that level was incredibly unreliable and had dropped in the middle of a pack of goblins. The goblins were bashing my hitpoint bar down fast and I had no reliable options. I could try to run for it but the zoneline was very far from where I was located. It could have well been a thousand miles from me considering the circumstances.


Ominous hills overlook Lavastorm



I needed to act fast. My first and only option was to gate. It was a foolish idea really, gate had a huge casting time and would be interrupted by all the punches I was taking for sure. But I had to try. First cast was unsuccessful. Second cast was working but slowly. The cast bar was struggling to complete. Each punch from a goblin could make my gate stop and it would be the end of me. My heart was pounding and my hitpoints were dropping. At the very last second gate worked! I was back at my bindpoint with less then 5 hit points remaining.

I was safe. The experience convinced me this was a great game. I decided to stay. The rest is history.




Fcseven (11/2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment