Thursday, April 20, 2017

Everquest memories- The Great Vendor Disaster of 2006

 
------------------------------
Everquest Patch Notes (January 18, 2006):
------------------------------

This morning we had an error with the update that resulted in merchants, and subsequent items, in
the Plane of Knowledge that should not have been appearing in the world. In order to address this
we will be performing selective and aggressive rollbacks of certain characters throughout the day.
There will be multiple phases and some characters may be subject to multiple adjustments. If you
believe that you have been involved in any way (even indirectly) then please consider holding off
your playtime until tomorrow. We apologize for the inconvenience and we are resolving this in the
most complete way possible while minimizing the impact on the majority of the customers.



The Great vendor disaster of 2006 (as I like to call it) dwells in my memory for a number of reasons. It's the first time I realized a million dollar company could make such a huge mistake. The first time I had seen so many people angry in the game. The first time the game world came to a standstill.

I was there that morning. I saw the vendors. I did not give into the temptation of getting items for free. I knew there would be rollbacks. At least I can say I was there.


Fcseven. (updated 5/10/17)

No comments:

Post a Comment